maricar's Reviews > Number the Stars

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

i'm quite unable to put exactly into words how this story provoked me. to place a young girl just striving to hold on to her innocent childhood smack-dab in the center of something so traumatic as a war that lingered is normally not something i'd care to read about--especially if that war involved one of the greatest crimes against humanity in the history of the world.

but after reading Number the Stars, i was reminded--and this may possibly sound soppy--of the enduring human spirit against loss and fear, and the always remarkable tendency of courage and selflessness to assert itself in the most unexpected times.

bittersweet and heart-wrenching, there are those today who may find this book biased against the Germans. and true--we do have to consider that those soldiers were only doing their duty by their officers and by their country, and that, under normal circumstances, they would just have been any other average people (and a fraction in our history should never be a basis for perpetual prejudice). however, the German soldiers portrayed in the book were all reprehensible--definitely it is difficult to be objective with its narrative. and the remnants of the second world war will always leave a scar on the millions of people violently persecuted by the Nazis.

this is the point, then, where we should comprehend that Lowry's book sends a message that transcends feelings of hate or racism, oppression and tyranny. instead revel in the fragile yet inspiring thread of hope that underlies the friendship of Annemarie and Ellen, the hope that made Peter's and hundreds of others' deaths all the more significant, and the hope that there would always be a God tomorrow to number the stars for us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number the Stars.