Gertie's Reviews > After The Virus

After The Virus by Meghan Ciana Doidge

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic_fiction, aw-authors
Recommended for: zombie afficionados, post-apocalyptos, romantics
Read from July 04 to 12, 2011

Everyone has their own idea of what makes a good apocalyptic fiction book (or book in general). One thing that I usually need in order to enjoy a book is likable characters — characters with a moral code that relates to our own non-apocalyptic ones are kind of hard to come by in this genre, because most post-apocalypse stories focus on survival, and the things people will do to live. Not very nice things.

The main male in this book, Will ("Tex"), is the sort of guy who clearly sees the world a certain way and wants it to stay that way. He spends his time trying to keep/make the world a better place, a place he can live in. The main female character Rhiannon does something early on in the book that made me like her right away. Small spoiler here, happens early in the book though, so may be fine for you to read. The female lead was a bit more mysterious. Initially I really liked her, but I found myself questioning that judgement later in the story. She seemed to have a soft spot for a few others, but then outside of that seemed to be a bit cold and sometimes ruthless or selfish. There were also what seemed to me to be hints at a darker past, which I may have been misunderstanding. At any rate, I felt like her character could have been explored more, particularly since she felt like a more central figure than anyone else in the book.

Technically this is a zombie book. For me, it was more of a romance and survival story, which just happened to have a few zombie-like folks here and there. They were a part of the backdrop that could have had a more prominent presence, more frightening or dangerous, but they ended up coming off as essentially just another danger of the new world, so to speak.

There are a lot of nicknamed people in this book -- One Ear, Buddy, Big, etc. This is usually a literary device I enjoy. I have to admit though, I did sometimes get a little confused about who was who. I'm not sure if it was me or the way it was written though. Maybe I just get too impatient to store up names properly. :-P

The author swears a lot. Well, actually, the character Rhiannon swears a lot. I don't mind that, I swear a lot too. Sometimes I even like it. It does however contribute to that coldness of character I had a little trouble figuring out. Was she always like this? Just after the virus? If before, then why?

One thing that bothered me was the use of double hyphens, but I believe this is a side-effect of the format of the book, which will likely be remedied in future versions.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The price was right, it was surprisingly clean of type errors for a self-published book. The story was fun, not overly complicated (which I sometimes like), and the straightforwardness and likable characters were somewhat refreshing. I read a lot of apocalyptic fiction and sometimes it gets a little complex and heady, and it's nice to read something a little more to the point sometimes.

If you enjoy apocalyptic stories and are looking for a light summer read on your Kindle, pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After The Virus.

Quotes Gertie Liked

Meghan Ciana Doidge
“Life made you get your hands dirty; life was vengeful if you tried an easy route.”
Meghan Ciana Doidge, After The Virus

07/04/2011
5.0% "Interesting start, fast-paced but enough inside the main character's head to care what happens next. The main character is a dog-lover, so I like her already."
07/04/2011
10.0% "Enjoying the story but the double hyphens -- (instead of em dashes) are killing me."
show 4 hidden updates…