Nick Brett's Reviews > The Last Four Things

The Last Four Things by Paul  Hoffman

Jul 04, 11

I was underwhelmed by The Left Hand of God, while I thought it had potential it was also flawed. The test was going to be whether the author built on the potential or not.
Sadly, in The Last Four Things the flaws are much more evident in a rather difficult read where the author seems to have abandoned the potential and built in more flaws! The narrative style seems different, with a smug observational style and the author then rather over indulges himself in the very things that jarred in the first novel!
Lead character Cale continues to be hard to emphasise with and indeed it is hard to relate to anyone in this novel. Add to that a somewhat meaningless plot set in a world that has many familiar names and places and yet is not `our' world, yet the author offers no explanation.
This was very painful to read, a real chore and an utter waste of a few reading hours. Avoid like the plague, if ever there was a book where the editor or publisher needed to step in and re-direct the author, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Four Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »