Shannon's Reviews > Rot & Ruin

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle, supernatural, ya, zombies, dystopian
Read from July 04 to 06, 2011

Benny hated zoms his whole life because he never stopped to consider that zoms were someones friend, someones mother, someone loved them. They weren't evil, they just were instinctual. This book taught the lesson that sometimes the real evil isn't the clear target you've been taught to hate, sometimes it the hero you worshiped your whole life and sometimes evil is wrapped up in a package of indifference - turning a blind eye to anything you are too afraid to confront.

As you go along with Benny in his journey of become more aware of the world around him, you witness his transformation from a young boy to a young man. He still has his trademark sarcasm and quick wit, but he realizes that some of the truths he has clung to his entire life were not truths at all. You watch him grow and change from a typical teenager to an extraordinary man.

This book also explores what I think would be a basic truth, in times of tragedy, some men step up as heroes - men who likely seemed like nothing special in ordinary life, others use the tragedy to further their own greed and lust for power, others still let fear keep them trapped, silent and uneducated. Tragedy brings out the best in some and the worst in most.

This book was well written with rich characters I truly cared about and want to visit again. I think Maberry really did a fantastic job with making you stop and think about so much more than zombies. I highly recommend this!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot & Ruin.

07/04/2011 page 35
07/06/2011 page 205
45.0% "The only reason I didn't finish it last night was because my husband came to bed early. GRRRR. I love this book so far!"
show 1 hidden update…