Sandra's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, in-english, books-i-own, read-in-2011, a-song-of-ice-and-fire
Read from August 01 to 05, 2011

This book is just such a ride: wars are made, people are slain and hearts are broken. For all that, it is written well enough and has enough subtle humour here and there to not make this feel like a complete tragedy. Even though the end makes me rather sad, I must say I really enjoyed reading this book and it felt a lot shorter than its 1010 pages.

I'm amazed at how well all the storylines seem to come together. I love how all the different perspectives help build up this one big, epic story. I'm just sad that some voices did not get as much screentime as others: Daenerys and Jon just had a few chapters each in this book, but then they were not directly involved. Sucks for me then, that they are two of my favourite characters.

Strangely enough, this book taught me a love for the Lannisters. I hope to see more of the Kingslayer in the other books, the one mention and the one scene he got were slightly disappointing.

Now that I've finished reading, I feel the same way as I did after book one: as if I have to say goodbye to a very dear friend. It's true, these books are quite the read, but worth it. They are just so good they fight their way into your heart and settle there. It's quite the wonderful experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

08/01/2011 page 107
11.0% "Why can't I resist this series? I just can't. From the moment I sit down with a book I'm completely absorbed till the moment I absolutely have to do something else."
08/02/2011 page 203
20.0% "Just read my first Daenerys chapter of the book.. and have to wait till page 422 for the next. Why so cruel, Mr. Martin?"
show 3 hidden updates…