Lalah's Reviews > The Introvert Advantage: How Quiet People Can Thrive in an Extrovert World

The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney

Jul 03, 11

Read in July, 2011

I'm aware of my fondness for false dichotomies, and the introvert/extrovert one is surely not as black and white as I like to think. Most of us have some of both. Even so, I gained a lot from this book. Laney normalizes much about introversion that seems "wrong" in a society where extroversion dominates. She's given me new insight about managing my energy level and my energy needs, and that's going to help at work, at home, and at play. So far, I find myself more willing to give myself a break when needed, and without the guilt. Hallelujah.

Two mild complaints: I am going back to reread her chapter on the brain and body physiology of the introvert; my initial take is that she's over-simplified that section significantly. Also, as a friend pointed out, by the end of the book the introvert comes off a bit as a special needs child in need of accommodations. I think we're stronger than that. And still, it's nice to be reminded of all the ways we can support ourselves out in the world.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Introvert Advantage.