Jeff's Reviews > The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island

The Statues that Walked by Terry Hunt

Jul 03, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in July, 2011

I went through a swing of reading the Graham Hancocks and Sitchins of the world years ago, so it was nice to return to a crumb of that subject matter, albeit from a more sober and credible angle.

The authors dig around and make the case for tweaking the narrative of the pre-European history of the island. The presentation is methodical and understated, but never grinds to a halt.

Based on the premise of the book I was fearing that a bunch of Noble Savage-ish sentiment would be shoved down the reader's throat, but there wasn't much of that.

I'm so used to buying crusty old used books that it was almost a shock to see email and Google Maps mentioned in something I was reading.

Disclosure: I was formerly a work colleague with one of the authors; it had nothing to do with archaeology.

Codicil: While reading this I re-watched Chariots of the Gods on YouTube. When my father bought a VCR circa 1980 that was one of the few cassettes we had so I watched it many times. Seeing it again was awesome - the funky music, the narration that swings from farcical to ominous to disjointed, the globetrotting. The perfect way to get revved up to read this book, even though Easter Island only takes up less than 10 minutes of the movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statues that Walked.