Maxine's Reviews > Transfection

Transfection by David Gaughran

5208303
Jul 03, 2011

Read in July, 2011

I usually avoid short stories because I find they tend to leave out too much, the characters are flat, and there just isn't enough time for the willing suspension of disbelief to kick in. Not so Transfection - a sweet little piece of science fiction (or, at least, I want to believe it's fiction).

Author, David Gaughran, has a real gift for telling big stories in small spaces. This tale involves the danger of genetically modified foods, the willingness of some corporations to trade public safety for quick profits (you know, the old 'acceptable risk' gambit), and the equal willingness of some scientists to bend or even outright fake research results to match the corporate line. And, while, Gaughran builds a real sense of suspense and paranoia (um, is it paranoia if it's true?), he introduces us to his protagonist, Dr Carl Peters, warts and all, and, what's more, he makes us care for him. And he does all this in 18 short pages - not a mean feat by any stretch of the imagination.

This is the first book I have read by this author and all I can say is, I want more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transfection.