Karen Kaiser's Reviews > Queen of the Dead

Queen of the Dead by Stacey Kade

Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: summer-2011, five-stars, ghost-and-the-goth, reread, summer-2012
Read in August, 2012, read count: Once

Once again, Stacey Kade amazed me with the surprising greatness of her books. Before I read the first book in the series, I thought it would be kind of shallow and light, but it turned out to have more depth than I ever expected. Not Pacific-Ocean-depth, but definitely deeper than I thought.
The characters stayed consistent, and their thoughts and personalities were very different in their respective chapters. Mina and the Order definitely added some drama and mystery, even though I wasn't quite satisfied with how that got wrapped up. Maybe they'll be back in the third book. Alona getting trapped in Lily's body was perhaps the most dramatic and ground-shaking event that Kade could have written. Just like the first book, it leaves me begging for more. I have so many questions; how is Will going to handle having to love two separate entities; Alona's personality and Lily's body? And what if they somehow succeed in their goal of freeing Alona's spirit and restoring Lily's to her body? What kind of drama will that cause, if Will is stuck between both of them? And the Order wasn't dealt with, like I've already mentioned, so what will they have to do with the next book?
I can't wait for June, 2012.
And just like the first book, I enjoyed the backseat that the romance took. Sure, Will's and Alona's relationship is exciting and funny to read about, but it wasn't the main focus of the book. They spent half the book in separate perils, even. And I respect the book a little more for that, because I don't see how it can be categorized as a romance when there was so much else going on.
I was not disappointed by the second book in the Ghost and the Goth series, and I eagerly (very, very eagerly) await the third installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of the Dead.