Lena's Reviews > What Happened to Anna K.

What Happened to Anna K. by Irina Reyn

Jul 03, 11

Read in May, 2011

This hit too close to home, but that is not the reason I did not give it more stars. The book is a modern day Anna Karenina story set in Rego Park, Queens where my family is from. It is very well written and definitely a page turner. While Reyn, who also grew up in Rego Park and whose family immigrated from Moscow when she was 7 describes many details of neighborhood and immigrant life with uncanny, insider accuracy, she focuses on only a narrow aspect of it, which is what made it frustrating for me to read. I felt like various elements of the ethnic experience were used to drive the plot, rather than the reverse. Another issue I had was the fact that you know exactly how the story will end before you even start to read the book (although, admittedly, the title is very appropriate). Overall, it was an enjoyable, albeit frustrating read for me, (which is probably my fault for taking the book too seriously), and I would recommend it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Anna K..