Lori Anderson's Reviews > Darke

Darke by Angie Sage

Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, for-zack, history
Read in July, 2011

Absolutely love this series. Anyone who misses the Harry Potter series will like this one, I promise.

This is probably my favorite book of the entire series. It keeps you on the edge of your seat as the "Darke" (the bad magic)threatens to overtake the kingdom. The Darke also tasks the strongest wizards, and for a while, the reader wonders who will come out unscathed (spoiler -- not everyone makes it).

Dragons, magic rings, mysterious dark clouds, "Things", ghosts (the good kind), a reunited son and mother, a duck (yep, a duck), and a tight-knit family dominate the pages. Long-held grudges are mended. Old places within the kingdom are revisited after many books ago. Long-asked questions are answered.

The lovely pencil illustrations in this entire series are an equal delight. And of course, I love the detailed maps.

Can't say enough good things. Sure, it's meant for kids and young adults, but just like Harry Potter, grown-ups will love it, too.

Highly recommended (but start with Book One).

Lori Anderson

Blog
Shop
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Anderson Are these books like Harry Potter at all? This one sounds a little like HP but I'm not familiar with the series at all.

Lori Anderson YES! Start from the first book, though. I LOOOOVE this series.

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally Anderson Cool. I miss HP and need something fantastic (as in fantasy). Thanks!

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally Anderson I am so happy to see that the library has all of these in Nook format. I just downloaded the first one. Thanks.