Kathryn's Reviews > Uzumaki, Volume 1

Uzumaki, Volume 1 by Junji Ito

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga, horror
Read from July 03 to 10, 2011

I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. The story was original and truly horrific. One panel in particular made me gasp and I had to place my hand over the picture in order to continue reading the story. Now that's what I'm talking about, even though part of it is due to my personal aversion of people cutting on themselves. But it made for a frightening addition to the story.

Essentially, there is a town plagued by spirals. The townsfolk are being possessed and consumed with a spiral obsession. The book is an easy read but disturbing and meaty enough that I am happy I bought a copy. Most manga and comic type books these days read too quickly. Yet there was enough story here to keep me interested and thankfully I did not read it all so quickly that I was finishing barely after beginning. I am excited to read more by the author.

And I almost forgot to mention how much I loved the art! The fear and confusion of the characters was amplified by the simple black and white pictures. The art and story complimented eachother perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uzumaki, Volume 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday have you seen the japanese movie version? it is awesome! so strange. so many bizarre visuals.