Paul Dinger's Reviews > God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

Jul 03, 11

Read in July, 2011

Vonnegut is one of the last crazies of American lit. This is hardly his masterpiece, but it has great ideas. It is the novel about the Rosewater fortune and also about Capitalism itself. One can so easily read this and see all the evils of today's world. The working man has become irrelevant, even more so to today's economy. And charity is still seen by our own ruling class as being an insanity that hurts society. The Ayn Randian ideas of the Republican party rule our political system irregardless of who sits in the white house or controls congress because they are the only ones who pay for elections. It envisions a country where people are worthless, how is this not our world? Capitalism is a system that creates nothing but disaster and chaos in it's wake. In our country, companies are getting richer as unemployment reigns. It isn't going to change, it hasn't changed. High unemployment has been an issue in the last few presidential elections and president after president responded by giving money away to the rich and it hasn't resulted in any thing more that more and more misery for all. The majority of people are workers and they are becoming more and more worthless. Once there was a middle class that could buy things that corporations produced. And now that's gone aren't the corporations going to follow?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.