Jenn's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 08, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, paranormal, young-adult, shapeshifting-madness, swoonworthy-boys, books-i-own, series, new-author-to-me, signed-copies
Read from July 03 to 08, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Another one of those books where I wasn't sure I would like it when I started it. But wow, this one just grabs you and doesn't let go. I liked that the legends surrounding the wolfs differed from your normal werewolf stories. I actually spent half the book pretty much in the mind set that this wouldn't end happily. I love the connection between Sam and Grace and the mystery that surrounds the two of them. Sam is such a sweet character and my heart broke for this curse that had been placed upon him. I went through so many emotions while reading this with Sam - almost like I was on this roller-coaster with him. He pretty much knew that this would be his last year human, and when reading his POV you could feel the agony of predicament. HE loved Grace, I never doubted that, but he also felt loyalty toward his pack and the ones who showed him the way and helped him. When he changes back in the end, you just know that their relationship is over. The way the author wrote the very last chapter...not knowing whether Sam was human or wolf was perfect. When he appeared before her in human form, I think my heart stopped right along with Grace.

And this book made me cry! That's how invested I was with these two characters. Can't wait to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

07/03/2011 page 39
07/04/2011 page 89
23.0% "Very intriguing. Can't wait to find out more about Sam"
07/05/2011 page 192
49.0% "Poor Sam :( I can't see how this book is going to end happy"
07/08/2011 page 234
60.0% "Oh shit! Did Shelby take Grace?"

Lindsey Rae Shiver is awesome. Dont want to spoil you for Linger... but it's nowhere near as good (I didn't even finish it). It's disappointing actually. =/

Jenn Oh no, that sucks. I hate when that happens