Ron's Reviews > Seven Tears Into the Sea

Seven Tears Into the Sea by Terri Farley

Dec 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

By this point, you know my penchant for books that rely or retell traditional folklore, that do it right and that, to top it off, are interesting. You might have also notice my Selkie-love.

On all of those accounts, Seven Tears into the Sea simply excels.

The approach to the Selkie legend is probably one of the most loyal to the original Celtic tale that I’ve read to date, and that alone gave the story some serious points.

The storyline is not too complex, as it focuses mostly on the romance aspect, and on the way Gwen deals with her past and her everyday life, so don’t expect brutal, past pacing action. Funnily enough, though, this is another scored point for me: I wanted some paranormal YA where the balance of the world wasn’t hinging on the balance. It rendered the sweet romance much more tangible, and much more tragic.

Because there is a tragedy when one of the lovers belongs to the earth and the other to the sea, no matter how you look at it. And in spite of how bittersweet it was, I think the way the author chose to solve this conflict is the best way out.

The characters themselves are likeable, sympathetic, and fairly well developed. True, this holds to the main couple, as some of the secondary cast felt bothersome at times.

Actually, that’s my complain about this book: the secondary lines took too much time, too much space. We don’t meet our Selkie hero till the middle of the book, and while the scenes with Gwen’s Grandma are important, I think they might have been a little too lengthy. I wanted less coffee making, less pot cleaning, less girlfriends come-a-calling, and more actual romance.

The reasoning behind my rating is only the fact that I wanted more of Jesse, more progress in their relationship... And because the ending left my mouth hanging open in shock, and not exactly of the good kind. Still, Seven Tears into the Sea still is a very sweet, very tender, very touching novel, and I’d certainly recommend it if you like the genre, as it remains one of the best Selkie novels I’ve read yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Tears Into the Sea.