Coffcat's Reviews > With Caution

With Caution by J.L. Langley

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: gay, romance, urban-fantasy
Read from July 03 to 06, 2011

I was kinda torn with this book. I'm a huge fan of J.L. Langley's Ranch and Sci-Regency series but this book kinda fell flat for me. I'll borrow a cliche relationship quote and say "it wasn't you, it's me" lol.

I'm not saying by any means that I think there was anything wrong with the book itself. I think that:
1. I would have preferred a little bit more of an equal relationship between Remi and Jake. I don't mind a little bit of dom/sub but in this case I would have liked less. And with that thought leads into...
2. my biggest problem with the book was Remi's job. Being a firefighter takes balls of steel. There is no such thing as a timid firefighter, and yet to have Remi so uncertain and afraid at home didn't quite fit. Now if he'd have been an office worker like an accountant or some sort of solitary job then it would have fit much better.
3. there were a couple of kinks that didn't really push any of my buttons.
4. they're werewolves for godsakes. Other than a casual mention of hunting once a month and some growling here or there the werewolf aspect barely existed. There were some seriously emotional scenes in this book, it would have been much more satisfying to see at least some more "wolfy" behaviors. When confronted there was too much running and uncertainty than standing ground and defending one's pack like a wolf.

I must say this though, I did really like the characters, the setting and the plot. It was nice to read about brothers who care so much for each other no matter what. The difficult situation they were in just made you root all the more for them to get a happy ending.

To sum up, I'm sure that this book is going to be the end all be all for many people, it's a niche book that will make many readers happy I'm sure. And that's ok :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With Caution.