Diane V-R's Reviews > Separate Beds

Separate Beds by Elizabeth Buchan

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: book-club
Read from July 03 to 16, 2011

I needed a change of pace after a few grueling weeks of chilling and gory reading, which left me craving a less stressful read.

Separate Beds is beautifully written with a poignant and touching storyline but it is S.L.O.W. The characters had charm but seemed to lack a certain oomph and spirit. A little explosive drama would have spiced things up, instead the characters were always impeccably polite and quiet.

Overall I enjoyed the book and it did get me thinking about issues we will no doubt be facing when my husband and I are older and our children grown up (aging, empty nest, elderly parents etc).

Overview:
Tom and Annie's children have grown up, the mortgage is do-able and they're about to get kitchen make-over. Life is good-or so it seems. Beneath the veneer of professional success and domestic security, their marriage is crumbling, eaten away by years of resentment, loneliness, and misunderstandings, and they've settled into simply being two strangers living under the same roof...until the economy falls apart, and suddenly their lives are upended when Tom loses his job and their house fills up with children returning home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Separate Beds.