Nicole's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: teens-ra, science-fiction
Read on July 03, 2011

Pretty obvious that the marketing department is targeting Hunger Games fans looking for something more, but the novel is pretty good on it's own and better in some respects.

First, this book is much more Mad Max/The Road than Brave New World. The world is a lot more brutal in terms of the basic environment that the characters have to live in. The heroine is extra-badass, but clueless when it comes to emotion, and kind of a bitch at times, which I like. I mean, I love Katniss too, but she sure spends a lot of time whining and thinking things over, while Saba just gets on with it.

I like the emotional subplots too. The ambivalence about the little sister (who turns out to be a mini-badass) is great - the change in the relationship b/t Lugh and Saba is also interesting. The romantic subplot is more my style (I'm a big fan of Belligerent Sexual Tension), and it's sexy, not emo as so much YA romance tends to be. And there's dialect involved ('cause let's face it, why would far-future folks speak perfect 21st Century English?), but it's somewhat consistent and not impossible to read.

Overall, great start. I'm interested to see where this series goes, since they've already killed off the local Big Baddie. I actually hope the film version gets made - it's very cinematic and the pace is sharp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.