Mandy Moody's Reviews > The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus

The Hot Zone by Richard   Preston

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, scary
Read from July 03 to August 01, 2011

So. Very. Good.
This non-fiction account of an almost outbreak of a new strain of Ebola should NOT have been as exciting or absorbing as it was - but it REALLY WAS.

I read this book because I thought it would be a nice basis of fact for many of the books/movies that I've been interested in lately. It was. I learned a lot. It provided a really valuable insight into many of the books I've enjoyed lately - Feed, Deadline, Infected, and more. On top of learning about the way a virus attacks a body, I learned a lot about primates - an unexpected bonus :)
It was so much more than an opportunity to learn something, though! The Hot Zone read like fiction. GOOD fiction! The character development and the back story were impressively done. They helped flesh out the story and turned it into the single best non-fiction book I've ever read.

I found this book SO interesting that it may have sparked a new reading obsession for me. I'll be picking up more of Richard Prestons work in the very near future :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hot Zone.