Brian's Reviews > Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7 by Warren Ellis

M 50x66
Jul 04, 2011

Read from July 03 to 04, 2011

Spider has found a new way of trashing those he hates, and is going out as he has lived: screaming for people to start caring enough to fix the world. The introduction of his seemingly terminal illness only serves to raise the stakes to the breaking point. His one last act before death will be to bring down the presidency. And the funny thing is, while I of course root for our mad-as-hell messiah, I couldn't help shaking a feeling of loss. Spider can't live forever, and who would take his place? Hunter S. Thompson is dead. Who, really, has taken his?

Though as strong as this series is, this installment felt a bit more aimless than the other installments. Indeed, the title suggests that Spider is going all out on the Smiler...but in reality it was more sociopolitical commentary that wasn't really directed at Calahan with any fervor. Poignant stories, yes...but pinpricks. Spider is tap-dancing around what appears to be his primary goal. The end seemed like a promise to end that trend, but we have seen that promise in previous issues. We still have three more issues to go before Spider really has to get his act together and gives the ugly president precisely what he deserves. Hopefully Ellis will use them wisely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7.