Heather's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

Jul 05, 11

Read from July 03 to 05, 2011

I'm honestly not sure why I keep reading Myla Goldberg, because I always start out with high hopes, and I'm always disappointed. The False Friend has a great concept. A girl is abducted, and twenty years later it returns to haunt the friend who let it happen. I bet it would have made a striking short story. But as a novel, as this novel, it just doesn't work.

First of all, dumping out a ton of quirks and details do not well rounded characters make. Every time I started getting into the rhythm of the story, we had to stop for a diversion about Celia's addict brother, or pot smoking boyfriend, or to be reminded once again that her father wears *driving gloves*. (Um...what?) When Celia's parents started saying that they never liked a certain character because she was pretentious, I just started laughing, because...what the hell is this story? Pretension after pretension after pretension.

There was no real resolution, which in a stronger story would have felt haunting, but here just made me wonder why I'd spent my time getting all the way through it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Kaye Just finished it and am kind of wondering the same thing. Why did I bother?