Leslie's Reviews > Dreams of Joy

Dreams of Joy by Lisa See

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, great-for-discussion
Read from July 06 to August 29, 2011

This took me forever to finish, because I listened to the audio book, but Janet Wong's narration is very good.
One of my most vivid memories from college days is meeting students from The People's Republic of China (in England--they were not allowed to study in the "imperialist US" at that point) and seeing how indoctrinated they were in communist thought. Reading more about the early communist era in Lisa See's remarkable novel was a treat. She brings this time period to life through her lively and well-developed characters, wonderful descriptions of the land and people and also in the heartbreaking scenes involving the consequences of Mao's "Great Leap Forward." Excellent book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of Joy.

08/06/2011 "I'm listening to this book so it's taking longer than normal to get through it. I am very interested in the political context--The Great Leap Forward in Mao's Communist China. How many times do you see that in fiction? Lisa See does such a great job writing about Chinese and Chinese/American history, because it's tied in so completely with the characters and the plot."