E. L. Brough's Reviews > The Ambassador's Mission

The Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan

Jun 08, 13

bookshelves: abandoned
I own a copy

I hate writing poor reviews, but I was very disappointed by this book. The BMT shares joint first place in my top fantasy series, and I was so looking forward to this.

The characters are all flat and insipid - even those who were previously exciting and well fleshed-out; the constant references to the previous trilogy were irritating (I read that trilogy several times already and I read it again before I read this book, I don't need to be told every single thing that happened in it!); the quality of the language itself was poor as well, like it was written for a very young child.

All of the faults I found caused me to give up about two thirds of the way through, something I rarely do. I really wanted it to be good, because I know Canavan is capable wonderful, beautiful things - she is one of my great writing inspirations - so I'll wait for her next series. Perhaps this world is too 'lived in' now, so I'd like to see a book set in a different world; worldbuilding is something she really excels at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ambassador's Mission.

06/08 marked as: read
02/25 marked as: abandoned

Hannah Totally agree with this review, I was cleaning out my bookshelf the other day and my sister asked if this book was as good as the BMT and I really didn't have the heart to put her through reading this :s let's have hope for her next series!

Adriana I totally agree with you, but I have this is my first Canavan book, so had no expectations or warm feelings towards her writing, so REALLY found it flat and insipid!