Lisa's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: 1001-before-you-die, 2011, guardian-1000, new-1001-before-you-die, own, romance, been-around-the-world-and-i-i-i
Recommended to Lisa by: Gaye
Read from July 03 to 08, 2011

Thunderstruck with love after a fleeting glimpse, Florentino Ariza courts, wins and is then rejected by Fermina Daza, who marries instead Dr Juvenal Urbino. Resigned to waiting until his rival is dead, Florentino spends the next fifty years biding his time with many women while waiting for his next opportunity to declare his love.

Taking a look at some of the many different permutations of love through the telling of three lives and their relationships, this manages to be romantic while at the same time quite pragmatic towards the ways in which people experience life and love. I feel though that I should have been in love with this book, as it was beautifully written and full of gorgeous sentences, but while I enjoyed reading it I never quite tasted that magic ingredient. (To me, Florentino Ariza was obsessed with Fermina Daza, but not in love with her. There is a difference. And I think she might have a heart of stone. That might go part way to explaining why I didn't quite get there for this one.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.