Laura Summers's Reviews > Demons Prefer Blondes

Demons Prefer Blondes by Sidney Ayers

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: bcc-received, read-in-2011, paranormal, romance, bcc-reviewed
Read from August 06 to 14, 2011

Reviewed for www.BookChickCity.com (4 out of 10 on the blog)

I wasn't really a fan of 'Demons Prefer Blondes' there were times when the storyline engaged me, but for the most part it dragged. This was one of the books I felt like I chugged through rather than read it. Picking it up because I'd promised to review it, not because I wanted to snuggle down on the sofa and find out what happens next.

It tells the story of beautician Lucia Gregory, who unwittingly opens a demonic box and unleashes demons on earth. At the same she also discovers she's a half-succubus and gains herself some rather cool powers as well as a whole world of trouble.

The prologue begins really well introducing us to our sexy hero Rafe who is given a mission to retrieve the box and save Lucy. But Rafe brings with him some of his own troubles, the main of which is a missing sister he would rather be saving than embarking on this mission.

The biggest problem with the book was that it just tried too hard too be funny. As a consequence the jokes felt like that awful moment at a party when someone delivers the punchline only to be greeted by silence, and you can almost see the tumbleweed rolling across the carpet. They were too forced and packed too close together. There was barely a break before the next one was delivered and it made the story quite tiring to read.

Secondly was that so many of the plot points were not fully developed. Let's start with the demonic box, other than unleashing Lucy's powers, it didn't seem to have much a further point in the story. I also wanted some things explained to me in greater detail, we're told that demons are immortal but the weaknesses were never fully explained. Also the fact that when demons 'poofed' they left behind ice crystals, I was never sure why. The strangest thing of all is that Lucy is a succubus but the need for her to have sex to survive or the implications of this discovery is not explained at all. The plot seemed to happen a mile at a minute without stopping to always let the reader catch up.

Then, the thing I found hardest of all was the heroine was just so irritating. On a positive note she did have some great friends, from best friend Serah to her two gay co-workers. But her one-liners sadly grated on me.

VERDICT:

A book with potential, but it simply tried too hard. A lot of things happened too fast or the characters were too accepting of different developments and fates. Which is a shame as I did want to like this book, the prologue and back cover really had me intrigued.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons Prefer Blondes.

08/07/2011 page 66
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

_yay_ Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I only gave it 2 stars.

Laura Summers I've seen quite a few people have given it a low star rating, I'm only a few pages in at the moment, so I'll let you know :)