Melodie's Reviews > To Catch an Heiress

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, possession, awesome, good-read, part-of-series
Read from April 14 to 15, 2012

I adore this novel! I can't find fault in it; everything is perfect. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile now and I regret not having picked it up sooner. I love all the characters and enjoyed reading about their interactions. I love the romance, the suspense, and the humor.

Okay, a bit stupid of me but I was just about to say I wonder if James has a book without realizing that I've already read his book and loved it. So officially, I'm going to say that this series was amazing. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Catch an Heiress.

Quotes Melodie Liked

Julia Quinn
“Caroline, do you value your neck?"
"Yes, I'm rather fond of it. Why?"
"Because if you don't shut up, I'm going to wring it.”
tags: funny

Julia Quinn
“Blake took a small roll from the tray on the table, then put it back in favor of a larger one. And maybe a little butter. It certainly couldn't hurt. And jam...no, he drew the line at jam. She was a spy, after all.”

Julia Quinn
“To call that writing, madam, is an insult to quills and ink across the world.”

Julia Quinn
“Caroline stamped her foot in frustration, but when it landed, it landed on something considerably
less flat than the floor.
"Owww!" he yelled.
Oh! His foot!Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry , she mouthed.I didn't mean it.
"If you think I can understand that," he growled, "you're crazier than I'd originally thought.”

Julia Quinn
“Not that I knew who you were until last month. But now that I've got you, I'm not letting you go."
"You're not?"
Blake stared at her in irritated confusion. What was her game? "Do you think I'm an idiot?" he spat out.
"No," she said. "I've just escaped from a den of idiots, so I'm well familiar with the breed, and you're something else entirely. I am, however, hoping you're not a terribly good shot.”

Julia Quinn
“I am going to kill you," he hissed.
She gulped. "Don't you want to lecture me first?"
He stared at her with a heavy dose of stupefaction.
"I take that back," he said with precisely clipped
words. "First I am going to strangle you, and then I am going to kill you."
"Here?" she asked doubtfully, looking around. "Won't my dead body look suspicious in the morning?”

Julia Quinn
“He sucked his lips in an attempt not to laugh. "Aren't you Spanish?"
She raised one arm in a salute. "Viva la Queen Isabella!"
"I see. Then why are you speaking with a French accent?”

Julia Quinn
“Is there anything else I can do to see to your comfort, Miss Trent?" Perriwick inquired.
"She's fine," Blake growled.
"Clearly, she--"
"Perriwick, isn't the west wing on fire?"
Perriwick blinked, sniffed the air, and stared at his employer in dismay. "I do not understand sir.”

Julia Quinn
“She was in big trouble now.
"You stupid man," she said to the body on the floor. "Why did you have to lunge at me like that? Why couldn't you have left well enough alone? I told your father I wasn't going to marry you. I told him I wouldn't marry you if you were the last idiot in Britain."
She nearly stamped her foot in frustration. Why was it her words never came out quite the way she
intended them to?
"What I meant to say was that you are an idiot," she said to Percy, who, not
surprisingly, didn't respond, "and that I wouldn't marry you if you were the last man in Britain, and- Oh, blast. What am I doing talking to you, anyway? You're quite dead.”

Julia Quinn
“Click. The door swung open.
"Three," James said with a slightly self-satisfied smile.
"Well done," Caroline said.
He smiled back at her. "I've never met a woman or a lock that didn't love me.”

Julia Quinn
“She glowered at him. 'For your information, in the past week, I have been, oh let's see, nearly raped,
kidnapped, tied to a bedpost, forced to cough my voice into nothingness-"
"That was your own fault."
"Not to mention the fact that I embarked upon a life of crime by breaking and entering into my former
home, was nearly trapped by my odious guardian-"
"Don't forget your sprained ankle," he supplied.
"Ooooohhhh! I could kill you!" Another bar of soap flew by his head, grazing his ear.
"Madam, you are certainly doing an able job of trying."
"And now!" she fairly yelled. "And now, as if all of that weren't undignified enough, I am forced to live
for a week in a bloody bathroom!”
tags: humor

Julia Quinn
“And if that weren't bad enough, the next sound he heard was a loud click.
The damned woman had locked him out. She'd taken all the food and locked him out.
"You'll pay for this!" he yelled at the door.
"Do be quiet," came the muffled reply. "I'm eating.”

Julia Quinn
“Blake looked around and gulped. He'd forgotten about the mess on the floor. Chamber pot shards, his
shaving kit, a towel or two...
"I... ah..." It seemed to him that it was far easier
to lie for the sake of national security than it was to his
older sister.
"Is that a bar of soap stuck to the wall?" Penelope asked.
"Um... yes, it appears to be.”

Julia Quinn
“Never," he spat out, "kick a man who is pointing a gun at you.”

Julia Quinn
“Caroline Trent hadn't meant to shoot Percival Prewitt, but she had, and now he was dead.
Or at least she thought he was dead.”

Julia Quinn
“Perriwickturned to Penelope as he set the tray down on a table. "If I might be so bold, my lady-"
"Perriwick!" Blake roared. "If I hear the phrase 'if I might be so bold' one more time, as God is my
witness, I'm going to toss you into the channel!"
"Oh dear," Penelope said. "Perhaps he does have the fever, after all.Perriwick , what do you think?"
The butler reached for Blake's forehead, only to have his hand nearly bitten off. "Touch me and die,"
Blake snarled.”

“Just curious,she mouthed.
"What? I didn't catch that."
Jjuussttccuurriioouuss.She drew it out this time, hoping he'd be able to read her lips.
"If you spoke out loud," he drawled, "I might understand what you're saying."
'flat than the floor.
"Owww!" he yelled.
Oh! His foot!Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry , she mouthed.I didn't mean it.