Brittney Musick's Reviews > A Certain Slant of Light

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, 1-young-adult, library
Read from September 13 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** In the past, I've read several books that involves either the existence of ghosts or ghosts as minor characters, so it was pretty cool to find a book where the ghost was the main character.

From page one, I was drawn in. Helen has been a ghost for 130 years, and during that time she hasn't been seen or heard by anyone. Instead, she "attaches" herself to a host, who she will stay with until the host dies. She then moves on to the next host. Then one day, during her current host's class, one of his students seems able to see her.

James, another ghost, was able to take possession of the body of Billy, who overdosed on drugs and left his body, making it possible for him to see Helen. At first Helen is frightened by his ability to see her, but they soon develop a friendship, and together decide to find an "empty" body for Helen to take. At the mall, she finds Jenny, a girl from a severely religiously family, and Helen is able to take her body.

This was really the moment when I really got into the book. I'd enjoyed it up until that point, yes, but the story just became more complex because we had James pretending to by Billy, who has a lot of baggage from his lift as a drug addict and consequently several things that seem to keep coming back to bit him because of that.

Then there's Helen, who is trying to fill Jenny's role, but her desire to be with James and her own will keeps butting heads with Jenny's parents' plethora of rules and expectations.

It all, of course, begins to come to a head, and I just had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen.

I really enjoyed the story overall. There were some times that felt a little slow, but other moments made up for that later. I was really pleased to see that there's supposed to be a sequel/companion coming out that's supposed to tell Billy and Jenny's story because their lives and circumstances, as well as their emptiness, were what made it possible for James and Helen to be part of the "Quick" again, so I think it would be very interesting to see their side of things.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Certain Slant of Light.

09/13/2011 page 1