Mark's Reviews > Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint by Matthew Woodring Stover

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: i-was-young-and-dumb-okay, science-fiction, star-wars
Read in June, 2003 — I own a copy, read count: 1

One of the few highlights of the prequel trilogy was Mace Windu. The reason behind this is simple: Samuel L. Jackson is a badass, and so Mace Windu was also badass. He was given badass lines and badass scenes and he handled them like a badass. So, a novel featuring Mace Windu, by the author of the New Jedi Order's Traitor (by far the most outside-the-box SW EU novel to date) would seem to have been a good combination.

This is one of a handful of SW EU novels that I feel might still have some value if I read it today. I even went and re-read my brief thoughts about it in an old LJ entry and I wonder if I was too young when I read it to "get" it, particularly what I now can recognize as the strong Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now influence. The Clone Wars took a psychological toll even on the Jedi - although, of course, that was the Emperor's plan, to start the war and force the Jedi into the prolonged fight and weaken them for when he could take them out. When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you also, etc.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatterpoint.