Punk's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: ebook
Read from April 15 to 19, 2011, read count: 2

World War II/Alien Abduction/Time Travel. For decades, Vonnegut meant to write a serious novel about the bombing of Dresden. He wrote this one instead.

It's a critique of war, but it's also a story about a guy who's abducted by aliens and made to live in a zoo with an adult film star. So it's a Vonnegut novel, basically. It's gently sharp and sweetly sarcastic. Kilgore Trout shows up. Billy Pilgrim's unstuck in time. The Tralfamadorians believe that if someone dies, they're still alive somewhere else. So it goes.

Four stars. Even when humans are being terrible, you can feel Vonnegut's love for them, for their vulnerabilities, their absurdities, their hopes. If you're ever in Cody, Wyoming, just ask for Wild Bob.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

04/15/2011
0.0% "I follow a Kurt Vonnegut Twitter and it always makes me miss him. Rereading Slaughterhouse-Five seems like the thing to do after this quote: http://twitter.com/Kurt_Vonnegut/stat..."
04/15/2011
37.0% ""Another thing [the University of Chicago's Department of Anthropology] taught was that nobody was ridiculous or bad or disgusting. Shortly before my father died, he said to me, 'You know -- you never wrote a story with a villain in it.' I told him that was one of the things I learned in college after the war.""
04/18/2011
58.0% ""The champagne was dead. So it goes.""
04/19/2011
84.0% ""He did not think of himself as a writer for the simple reason that the world had never allowed him to think of himself in this way." re: Kilgore Trout, of course."
04/19/2011
100.0% ""And then the Russians came on motorcycles, and they arrested everybody but the horses."" 1 comment