Klaudia's Reviews > A Mountain of Crumbs

5119239
Jul 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, memoir, russian, communism, 20th-century
Read from July 02 to 13, 2011

I was snooping in the memoir section of my local Barnes and Noble, and "A Mountain of Crumbs" was out on display. I was attracted to it like a fly is to honey because A)Someone was quoted on the cover saying that it was like the Russian "Angela's Ashes" (And I love "Angela's Ashes") and B) It's a memoir about growing up in the USSR. I was watching some of Mrs. Gorokhova's interviews, and she says that the main thing she learned from Frank McCourt was to tell a story in chronological order. I think telling a story chronologically kind of draws the writer in. I also think that Gorokhova's style of writing is unique, it's foreign in a sense but it is very well structured; it seems whimsical at times. Though there were parts of it, where I wanted more personal detail, and parts of it where I felt there was too much repetition, I think I was too intrigued by the topic to stop reading. The ending is a little abrupt, but proper since this is about growing up in Leningrad. I'm thinking that Gorokhova will pull a Frank McCourt and write about her first years living in America, or at least I'm hoping that she will since her personal immigrant story is very interesting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mountain of Crumbs.