Marie Segares's Reviews > 201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas

201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas by Melody Griffiths

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: crochet, needlecrafts
Read in December, 2011 — I own a copy

(This review is part of a series of reviews of books in my granny square collection. For these reviews, the # of granny squares refers to the number of patterns for squares that are crocheted in the round, not the total number of patterns in the book.)

Summary: Pattern book with 201 crocheted motifs and 50 projects using these motifs. Uses U.S. pattern abbreviations and international stitch symbols.

# of granny squares: 38

What I like:
The book features many unique motifs which are whimsical and cute.
The motifs are in a range of shapes and using several construction techniques. There are many floral and animal motifs, as well as a full applique alphabet.
The book includes international stitch symbols for the majority of patterns.
The projects are interesting and varied.
There is an illustrated stitch guide in the back of the book, along with some helpful tips. This would make the book appropriate for a beginner.
The pictures are very clear and the book is definitely "eye candy."
The binding doesn't allow this book to lay flat, but it has built-in book flaps which can be used to hold a page.

What I didn't like or what's missing:
There are some patterns that don't include international stitch symbols (presumably due to space constraints).
The book doesn't have a lay flat binding.

Type: Paperback book.

Overall rating (out of 5 stars): 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas.