Teri's Reviews > What Angels Fear

What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris

Jul 08, 11

Read in July, 2011

I picked this up for some fun reading while browsing shelves at the bookstore for which I had a gift card. It is a mystery set in Regency London, and to make it even more appealing, it featured a comment saying Anne Perry fans would like it. And that is true! I am halfway through the novel, and can say it is better written than an Anne Perry novel. (But I will always be reading the newest adventures of both the Pitt and the Monk series.)

So far this is a great summer read. A lovely actress found murdered in the Lady Chapel of a church, the wrong man accused sets about finding her murderer, lots od gritty London setting details, some history about that wastrel Prince George trying to be named regent -- what more could I ask for?

Update: I really liked this book! So much that I have ordered the next one in the series. The historical backdrop and the details of life in early 19th century London, including slang among various classes, make it a fun read. And I like the daring main character, who reminds me a bit of Inspector Linley (also an aristocrat) in Elizabeth George's mysteries -- a smart detective with mysterious personal life, rather Byronic! The class distinctions in both series are also similar in that an aristocrat can move among the various levels of society with ease. Anne Perry's series about the Pitts has that trait as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Angels Fear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dagný (new)

Dagný The first line in your second paragraph is my favorite bit of summer read review!