Julie's Reviews > Darkness Unbound

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from September 16 to 20, 2011

Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Darkness Unbound is the first book in Keri Arthur’s newest series, Dark Angels. I have not read this author before but I am aware that her Riley Jensen series appears on many favorite lists. Therefore, when I found out that Keri was writing a new series that takes place in the same world as her Riley books, I jumped on the chance to give it a try. And after reading this book and finally experiencing this author’s writing, I can see why she has such a loyal following.

Darkness Unbound is an angel book…but not. It’s a ghost book…but not. It’s got shifters and mages and vampires and reapers…yet it’s not like any paranormal book I’ve ever read. The mix of all of these beings in one book, while you think it would be daunting, really wasn’t. It reads like you’ve been in this world many times before and like you know what is going on, but you don’t feel lost. I did not feel as though I was missing out on some vital information not having read the previous series. Was I curious about how some couples and situations came to be? Of course. But did it hinder my reading experience of this book? Not at all.

The main heroine in this new series is Risa Jones, a half werewolf and half Aedh. An Aedh is…well, it’s tricky to explain, but I’ll give it my best shot. An Aedh is a being that can take human form while on earth or can turn into a sort of mist. When in mist form, no one can see or hear them and they can travel to the gray planes, the place between light and dark. There is more to it that that, and it is way cool, but that would be the best I can do. Risa can call on her Aedh side but not on her wolf side, so she can’t shift into a wolf, but she does have some other wolf-ish traits. And since she is a Halfling, she stays in her human form but can call on her Aedh side and transform to mist. Yeah….cool.

I really liked Risa. She is strong and self-assured (I loved her confidence when she went into any situation) but she knows how important a strong support system and is not afraid to admit when something is way over her head. She is very close to her mother, to her ‘aunt’ Riley and to Riley’s family. She has two best friends/roommates, Tao and Ilianna, whom I also loved. I was glad to see that the author didn’t kill any of them off in this first installment and therefore allowing them to appear in future installments of this series. *g*

Lucian is another character I can’t wait to learn more about. He is an Aedh but has a story to tell about it. And boy oh boy is he yum-my! He and Risa together are electrifying! I hope hope hope he is a constant in this series because they are great together. A heads up though, you’ll need a fan handy for after you read some of their scenes. Wowza.

The world Keri created here is very intricate and the details of it are amazing. Reapers follow people around for a little while before they are due to die. (Risa can see them and it kind of bums her out.) A reaper’s job is to help the newly departed’s soul navigate through the gray space. Souls can be redeemed and almost all are one day reborn. Ghosts are the result of a person not dying when they were supposed to or when the person’s soul refuses the reaper’s help. And as I said, all the different beings and characters mixed into all this makes this a really cool world. But I never felt overwhelmed by information. The first few chapters bring you up to speed and that’s that. The story happens while you learn and then takes off from there. I can’t say that I felt as though one part of this book was slow or sluggish. I enjoyed the pace and found it read really well.

The story itself consists of one big constant story that looks like it will be the focus for this series’ story arc, and a smaller story line that wraps up at the end of this book, but still goes along with the main story. I like when a UF series is written that way. Then you get some closure at the end of each book but there is still so much going on that you can’t wait to get your hands on the next book to see where it will all ultimately lead you. (In this series’ case, the next book is Darkness Rising and it’s due out October 25th 2011. I already have it written in my planner.) I won’t go into what the stories are because I really think any fan of Urban Fantasy books should give this one a try. But I will say that there are gates opening that shouldn’t be opening and many people who may or may not resort easily to violence looking for answers. And keys. There are keys involved. And a creepy dark mist thing who is stealing souls *shudder*. And there is a very emotional scene that you know is coming but you still can’t prepare yourself fully for and it will make you cry. It still breaks my heart just thinking about it. *sigh*

This is a series I am excited to get addicted to. With amazing characters, riveting storylines that weave together beautifully and action mixed with emotion that grips you from page one, Urban Fantasy fans will find it practically impossible not to dive in and not look back.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Unbound.

09/16/2011 page 1
0.0% "I've never read this author but heard she is fabulous. Very much looking forward to getting into this book. :)"
09/19/2011 page 175
46.0% "I am really liking this book! It's making me wish I'd read her Riley Jensen books! I love the world. And Risa is a great heroine. And ladies, wait until you get a hold of her chemistry with Lucian!" 9 comments

message 1: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Crane Ooh! I'm so excited for this new series by Keri. Looking forward to your review.

Carmel (Rabid Reads) It was a 5 star read for me as well!