Julie's Reviews > Second Grave on the Left

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011, favorites
Read in August, 2011

Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Charley Davidson is back in Second Grave on the Left, Darynda Jones’ second installment in her quirky and wonderful series. I enjoyed the first book immensely. I found Charley to be a really fun read and I found the story to be very well told. And you know what? Book two was even better.

As with the last book, we follow Charley as she investigates a case (she is a PI after all). This time around, she is trying to find Mimi, a friend of Charley’s best friend who had left them cryptic messages and then went missing. But that is not all we get. No no no. We also get to see how she deals with the departed who wish to pass through her (she is the grim reaper after all) and we also get a story line involving Reyes. That is a lot to handle in one book, but Darynda writes the multiple storylines really well. They just flow from one to another without feeling forced. I like how easily it reads.

Now, speaking of Reyes, great news! The mystery that is Reyes?…well, he’s still a mystery. But we do get a few answers – just enough to keep us from banging our heads against the wall yet not enough to fulfil our curiosity. And Man oh Man there is something so incredibly YUM-MY about that man! Now for you romance lovers, note that there is no sex in this book…but the chemistry between these two main characters is so intense, you will be left feeling fully satisfied. (See what I did there? I inserted a sexual innuendo. Tee hee…inserted. *g*)

All the characters are endearing in this series. From the spirits to Charley’s best friend Cookie to her uncle Ubie. And Garrett I really like. I can’t tell you exactly why – maybe it’s because I think he’s into Charley but I’m not sure but even if he was he really doesn’t stand a chance because of her feelings for Reyes yet he still deals with it with humor and dignity, mostly. Maybe that’s why. But he is a great character and he is in this installment a fair bit.

But my favorite character by far is Charley herself. She is so snarky and witty and Funny with a capital F. And clever! I giggled out loud while reading this – more so this time around. How she interacts with others, her dialogue and her internal discussions are all wonderful. I dare you to read her and not giggle.

And a quick note: Each chapter begins with either a saying found on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker. These are great! Examples include “If it has tires or testicles, it’s gonna give you trouble” and ‘What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?” and “Don’t go buying trouble. It’s free and it knows where you live.” Okay, one more: “Yeah, but what if like hands me pickles?” LOL

The ending, while not a cliffhanger, will break your heart a little. And after it does that, it will make you go “huh?” But before it breaks your heart a little and then makes you go “huh?” , Charley will do something that will make you say “What the??? Did she really just?.. But that means… Whoa…” After I finished the Second Grave on the Left, I kept thinking about that ending and wondering what it all means for our dear Charley. But one thing is for certain, she is in for quite a ride in the next book. I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on Third Grave Dead Ahead, which is due out January 31 2012.

Second Grave on the Left is quick and sweet and funny. A definite must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Grave on the Left.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pamela / SpazP Aaaaaah!! So many awesome 5 Star-era right now!!

Colette Didn't you just love this book??

Colette Pamela {Spaz} wrote: "Aaaaaah!! So many awesome 5 Star-era right now!!" It's a great, fun read!

message 4: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I really need to start this series sometime soon! I'm so happy you're enjoying it so far. :-)

Julie Good book. Great book.

Sherri I really think Darynda Jones should open a t-shirt kiosk and sell t-shirts with the sayings from the chapters. Is it weird that I look forward to the beginning of a chapter just to read them??

Julie Sherri wrote: "I really think Darynda Jones should open a t-shirt kiosk and sell t-shirts with the sayings from the chapters. Is it weird that I look forward to the beginning of a chapter just to read them??"

OMG Sherri! That's a fantastic idea! I would totally buy some.

Pete I'd like some of these quirky sayings t-shirts,maybe with the gender changed :D

Julie Pete wrote: "I'd like some of these quirky sayings t-shirts,maybe with the gender changed :D"

That would be pretty sweet! lol

message 10: by Pete (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pete One of my favorites is
I know there are things out there that go bump in the night and not just the prostitute next door.

Julie Pete wrote: "One of my favorites is