Jarrah's Reviews > Elske

Elske by Cynthia Voigt

Mar 19, 08

bookshelves: adult-specfic, high-or-epic-fantasy, setting-secondary-world, adult-fiction, fantasy
Read in March, 2007

Elske escapes the cruel, savage Wolfer society of her birth, and takes up a position as servant in a merchant town. There she is swept up in the world of a difficult and cold princess who is in desperate need.

I wanted to like this, because I do love Voigt, but ... it's not anything special. It's set in the same world as Jackaroo, On Fortune's Wheel and The Wings of a Falcon, and the protagonist's grandmother, Tamara, seems to have been a character in one of the other books, but I can't remember most of them well enough to know which. I hope she wasn't anybody I cared about, since her backstory here was that she was kidnapped and kept as a slave for the rest of her life by Wolfers. Rape and violence and vengeance, oh my.

Elske herself is a survivor and a heroine and so forth, all good things, and everybody around her sees her gentleness and purity and goodness, a sort of halo of honey-warmth. I can't see it, though. She didn't leave much of an impression on me at all. Her mistress, the Princess Beriel, is more interesting, but not any easier to connect to.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elske.

message 1: by Celia (new)

Celia Powell I wonder if this was published after "Girl With a Pearl Earring"? Bad choice of cover if so! I can't associate that painting with any other book.

I really loved "On Fortune's Wheel", but I've never read any of these other books - this doesn't sound worth seeking out though.

Jarrah This wasn't the edition I read - it's an old book, though, so there's a very good chance this edition predates Girl With ....

The Wings of a Falcon and Jackaroo are both good in different ways - this is the only one of the quartet I've disliked. Although the Tillerman books remain my favourite Voigts.