Rachel's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

419307
Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help
Recommended for: Jenna, anyone who requires food for survival
Read in August, 2008

What a fantastic book. It revolutionized the way I think about food, and explained clearly some things that I never really understood. Such as: why hydrogenated oils are bad for you, what the food and medical industries stand to gain by keeping Americans unhealthy, what it is about the "Western diet" that destroys our bodies. This is a well-researched book that should inspire many to change their shopping and eating habits to favor whole foods in the name of health.

My only complaint is that Pollan only briefly acknowledges that not everyone can afford to eat this way. I'd like to see the book end with a call for sweeping change in the food industry that would enable all Americans to eat whole foods cheaply on a regular basis. Pollan reveals the nasty effects of eating a diet of fast food and TV dinners, but offers no solution for those Americans that don't have the time, money, or education to eat any other way. Failure to address this issue is to resign ourselves to keeping a large portion of the population not only poor but also obese, diabetic, and at risk for heart disease. Our health care system is bad enough without having to deal with cleaning up the mess left by nutritionism and the processed food industry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.