Sven's Reviews > The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology

Jul 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: science
Read in June, 2011

The ideas in the book are big, no huge! The author points out and documents the exponential growth in many areas of technology, such as number of features on a chip, amount of memory for $1, CPU speeds, and many others. He outlines our trans-human future, when we as individuals will incorporate more and more non-biological memory, intelligence, and cell-size robotics technology in our very persons.

His extrapolations in genetic engineering, nanotechnology, and robotics/artificial intelligence are intriguing and somewhat frightening. The text has elements of science fiction, economics, biotechnology, and future adventure novel, all wrapped in one. He includes some warnings about nanotech and AI systems running amuck, but balances those dire possibilities with reasonable ways to avoid the worst of the problems.

The style is not easy to read, however, and it's highly repetitive. He documents it all with notes that are worth reading too. Whether you think he's a visionary or a crackpot, I recommending reading this for a positive, optimistic view of world of the next 10, 20, 30, and 40 years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Singularity is Near.