Steve's Reviews > Angel Time

Angel Time by Anne Rice

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read from July 02 to 08, 2011

Hadn't read any Anne Rice for years, after having read her first 15 or 16 books. Of those, I really enjoyed at least half a dozen. (My sister bought this one for me, autographed no less, so I figured I'd give Rice another try.) Alas, overall, the lion's share of the story bored me (deeply) and, if the book wasn't relatively short (and if I wasn't spending a lot of time on airplanes), I'd have given up. The "main" part of the story came across as shockingly artificial, and I wasn't taken in by any of the characters, who seemed to be caricatures of caricatures. Conversely, I really enjoyed (and was highly amused by) the protagonist, Toby O'Dare, until he confronts "his angel" (after which I just couldn't wait for the book to end. Snore!!!!). Having said all of that, I LOVED the last page, and, in retrospect, I was glad I slogged (and I mean slogged) through for the kicker/zinger at the end. (Granted, I wouldn't recommend it as a result, but it was a pleasant surprise after a dreary, uninspired, inelegantly contrived journey.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Time.