Barbara ★'s Reviews > Blood Will Tell

Blood Will Tell by Dana Stabenow

1968285
Apr 19, 14

bookshelves: female-lead, mystery-cozy, x-set-in-usa-alaska, h-h-minority, read-2014
Read from April 17 to 19, 2014

I love all things Alaska and Dana Stabenow just brings everything to life with her words. I really like her intrepid heroine, Kate Shugak. She's an inherently good person with strong morals and respect for her elders even when they annoy the heck out of her. Her grandmother, Ekaterina Moonin Shugak is the Council leader and drags Kate kicking and screaming (figuratively) into tribal matters. Kate's gotten slick though, she now charges the Council for her assistance.

In Blood Will Tell, Ekaterina gets Kate to go to a Native Association meeting in Anchorage (if you're a Kate fan, you know she hates Anchorage). Someone is killing off council members and Ekaterina talks Kate into investigating. I like how Kate figures things out. She takes all the little tidbits that come her way, talks to some people and with some seemingly minor investigation, puts all the puzzle pieces together and doesn't hesitate to confront the bad guy(s) with her sidekick, Mutt, of course.

This one was a little too political for my liking but like all books in this series, details of life in the Alaska bush abound as well as native traditions. I find these stories, regardless of the murders, very refreshing and enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Will Tell.

04/17/2014 marked as: currently-reading