Mallory's Reviews > No Greater Love

No Greater Love by Danielle Steel

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: another-time-and-place
Read from July 02 to 04, 2011

Because I’m a sucker for all things Titanic, I grabbed this book from the library booksale shelf several years ago. This is the first Danielle Steel novel I’ve read. I liked it a lot because of the subject material, because it falls into my favorite genre (historical fiction), but mostly because it was a really good story. Edwina’s unselfish care of her siblings after the deaths of her parents and fiancé is heartbreakingly beautiful. She never thinks of all that she is missing in life except in quiet, dark moments. Her whole life is devoted to her brothers and sisters and she loves them absolutely. As they begin to grow older and move away, she learns how to live and love again.

Favorite quotes: “You’ll never be quite the same. The world will grow, and you’ll see us differently when you come home. We’ll seem very small to you, and very provincial.” – Edwina to Phillip

“Thoughts of the Titanic kept drifting into her head… the night of the ship going down… the screech of the lifeboats being lowered… the wails of the people in the water as they drowned. How did one forget memories like that? When did it ever go away?”

“Big challenges aren’t for everyone. Just a rare few. And the people outside those magic circles never really understand it.” – Edwina Winfield
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Greater Love.