Beth's Reviews > The Indian in the Cupboard

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks

Jul 02, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

I first heard this story read to me by my fourth grade reading teacher and have never forgotten it. Omri is a nine year old boy who receives some unusual gifts for his tenth birthday. He discovers that if he puts these gifts together in a particular way a tiny Indian figure magically comes to life! Omri is fascinated with his new friend Little Bear and spends a lot of time providing the items Little Bear requests of him. Omri struggles with telling anyone about Little Bear and after revealing the secret to his friend Patrick, begins to question their friendship and the safety of his secret world.
While not historically accurate (and slightly bordering on stereotypes regarding cowboys and Indians) The Secret of the Indian is a classic fantasy novel that will engage elementary aged readers. It is also the first in a series of books by the author, so readers who are drawn into the world of Omri and Little Bear will find the sequels entertaining as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Indian in the Cupboard.

05/26/2016 marked as: read