Tori S's Reviews > The Iron Hunt

Jul 02, 11

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2011

The premise is great - Maxine is a Hunter, a protector against demons. During the day, her tattoos make her invincible, a shield that neither bullets or even a fast moving bus can penetrate. But at night these tattoos leave her body and take their own form and work as her allies in her ongoing fight against the demons.

I found this first book a bit confusing. It felt like this book was a second or even the first in a second trilogy; so much has gone on before that I felt I was grasping a bit to draw the conclusions necessary to know where everyone fit in. I usually quite like this, especially with urban fantasy where a lot of common lore is explained to the nth degree to ensure everyone is up to speed, but Liu made the leaps a little too big and vague IMO. However there is enough of a conclusion, while still leaving a bit to come that I find quite refreshing for a first-in-a-series novel.

Her style of writing is quite lyrical and beautiful and what is going on is interesting enough to make me want to finish the series. An OK, but not great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Hunt.