Tammy's Reviews > Reunion

Reunion by Jeff Bennington

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-horror-suspense, ghosts, thriller, indie-self-pubbed
Read on July 02, 2011

Summary: Twenty years after surviving a school shooting Tanner Khan and his fellow classmates reluctantly agree to hold a reunion. Although they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, they come back to their hometown and reunite in the defunct school building. Old flames are rekindled, fears are ignited, and their lives are about to explode in a whirlwind of memories, haunted by the spirit of David Ray, the troubled teen who killed many of the students.

Once they're inside the school, they discover that a dark entity has joined them. It has come to collect a debt long overdue and someone has to pay. Will Tanner and his classmates overcome their fears, putting the pieces of their lives back together, or will they be consumed by their worst nightmare? Find out in this suspenseful thrill ride that will keep you guessing and engaged with a lovable cast of characters.

This story pulled me in and didn't let go. It started off on the day of the school shooting. An ordinary day for these kids and the expectancy I felt as the author took me through this day was stomach clenching. I was introduced to the main characters, one by one, as they arrived at school, greeted their friends and went to class. I was also introduced to David Ray, the troubled kid who will be the cause of so much death and trauma as the day progresses.
Jeff Bennington writes of this horrid event with amazing insight. He makes sure we are aware of the underlying psychology of a teenager who has been abused and scorned. He also hints at something deeper, something paranormal in the events to come. I felt as if I was reading about any one of the real life school massacres that have happened over the years. You can't help but think of those horrendous events as you read this.
This story eventually brings us forward, twenty years to the present and how our main characters have dealt with the trauma of that day. The authors depiction of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is spot on. Some of the victims have done positive things with their lives and some have remained stuck in that day but all are still affected and all need closure.
Deciding to arrange a Twenty Year Reunion in order to face the past and heal, one student brings them all back to the school were their lives were shattered.

Now, up until this point, this story seems written as a drama about surviving the worst that can happen but Jeff Bennington doesn't let you off the hook with a heartfelt and healing reunion. Hell no! Instead you are plunged into horror. The menacing ghost of David Ray has his own kind of closure in mind and it ain't healing. It scared the crap outta me and I loved it.

The plot of this story is fresh and I was compelled to finish it as fast as I could. A truly great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reunion.

07/02/2011 page 250
74.0% "I just can't read this fast enough. Up until 2am this morning!"