Tom Schulte's Reviews > The World as Will and Idea

The World as Will and Idea by Arthur Schopenhauer

Jul 24, 11

Read from July 02 to 24, 2011

From p. 62 of my edition: "every one who does not wish to remain uncultured, and ot be numbered with the ignorant and incompetent multitude, must study speculative philosophy." Well, I know what group I want to be in! This is my second time reading this massive, ambiotious & important work. The author recommends reading it twice, but maybe not tw decadeds between readings. Well, I hoppe to read it one more before I die and maybe that'll be OK. Preferably preceeded by some serious Kant. This time I followed more of the author's advice and read first his book-length Kantian dissection. That helped. I got a lot more out of the reading this time. First time 5%, this time 11%? I appreciated his even assessment of Hindu and other exotic philosophied and following up with reading Dawkins I see a radical atheism latent in the heaven=ennui and other assessments in the final quarter of Book 3. I wish net time for a edition that offers English translations of the numerous foreign language quotes, generally in Greek or Latin. While reading this I watched The Green Lantern movie and am convinced the Lantern Corps' will as the ultimate energy basis is a Schopenhauer inspiration.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World as Will and Idea.