valee's Reviews > Biting Cold

it was ok
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from September 16 to October 02, 2012

2.5 STARS
But I'm rating it with 2 because I'm just so sick of being disappointed by this series...

WHY AM I SO ANNOYED?
First, because the book was so damn SLOW! 80% of the book was about nothing at all. Pages and pages of what? NOTHING! just nothing important or at least not predictable. I guess I was really hopping for a master piece, I just think I -we- deserved it after the HUGE FIASCO of the previous 2 books. And while I just know we deserved a lot more than what we got, the first 80% of the book has a feeling of a chapter to it, not a real book. I think the author is trying to prolong something that should have never been prolonged. The first 3 books were so amazing! why did it have to come to this?

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE ETHAN FACTOR ...
Haven't we suffered enough already? I really thought this was gonna be the book that would give us finally what WE ALL HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR! Was it too much to ask for a little bit more romance? I mean, the guy died and we freaking suffered like crazy. Aren't we entitled as good-little readers to some fine heart-bursting scenes between him and Merit? 80% of the book was read and they were freaking staying apart from each other because he was scared to hurt her? Are you f*cking kidding me? Haven't we gone through this already in the previous 5 installments? It's really getting old.
And then all rushed and in the mix of battle and hard times we are given a little Merit-Ethan time in the last 15% of the book, as if I would ever be happy with that. TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE!. Why would I ever be happy with such lazy leftover? Is it too much to ask a book with some real good Merit-Ethan quality time on it? Come on. And what little we got just felt so surreal, they just go from nothing to everything from one moment to the next. I don't know, I was hoping for something much better from this author.

THE MOST HUGE MISTAKE IMHO WAS...
The twist in some of the characters reality. With some characters, I specifically mean Mallory and Seth. I came to completely hate them both because of the previous books, it's not my fault because the author made me feel that way about them. And in this installment they both become hero and heroine of the night... SERIOUSLY? Even after that, why would I care for them? They made things that won't be forgiven, they killed and almost destroyed everything we came to care about in this series. So why would we be happy with them becoming good people again? And both of them at the same time? WTF? Just too freaking unbelievable. Still, the results were not bad. I'm happy to see Mallory trying to redeem herself but everything could have been treated differently, slower. She went from being the being everybody feared and loathed to a captured scared girl who ended up cleaning dishes to earn forgiveness. SIGH* I guess the idea wasn't bad, just poorly developed. And Seth? I didn't care for him at all, neither did I once he becomes the good guy who saves them all.

I'm just SO SAD for feeling this way about this book because I really used to ADORE this series. I remember being so excited every time a book in it came out. I will still be reading next book because I still care for the characters in this series and I really need to get some Ethan-Merit time and see how they finally work together as a couple. Better they do just fine or I'm freaking quitting this series after next book, though.
26 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting Cold.

09/23
23.0% "Why do I have the feeling that I've already read this book? I will be royally pissed if I've already read it and forgot to rate it and marked it as read."
09/23
23.0% "Aghhhhhhhhh! I downloaded it wrong!!!!! I was reading book 4 by mistake!! That's why everything sounded so damn familiar. Omfg! I'm so freaking drustrated right now! I read 23% of the book already. I can't believeit took me THIS long to discover I was reading book 4 instead of book 6!" 2 comments
09/30
43.0% "Very little has really happened so far. SUCH A SLOW START... Zzzz" 1 comment
09/30
48.0% "Are you kidding me? Breaking up again already? I'm really getting tired of this series, too much talk about food and things that are not important at all. Also after the Ethan fiasco from the previous book I thought we would be getting much more of him..." 6 comments
48.0% "So damn slowwww!" 6 comments
09/30
64.0% "Omg! She almost died and nobody gave a crap. Ow lame is a book when the heroine almost passed away and everything kept going as if nothing had happened at all? And Ethan? Wtf? If losing her isn't the type of event that will make you change, nothing will! Ass! SO FRUSTRATEDRIGHT NOW!"
05/28 marked as: read

Rosy I think Chloe had to make that bold move in order to finally get both characters to be on the same level instead of being like boss and employee. Now they can go out on missions together.

message 2: by Book_Worm99 (new)

Book_Worm99 Nice thinking to the comment above me.

valee I hope that's why everything ended the way ti did too!

valee OMG,LMAO, I guess I truly was disappointed with this book to write such an agressive review. I just re-read what I wrote and was surprised by it. I'm sorry for the vocabulary used, although I wont change it as it reflects how I was feeling right after I finished the book.

I do wanna say though, in defense of the author, that I still adore the series and the characters and I still have faith in her to get it back to what it used to be.