Trudi's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: my-inner-child, young-adult, 2011-reads, the-big-letdown, not-for-me, fantasy
Read from July 31 to August 04, 2011

Ack! I feel like a troll that I didn't love this book, or that I have a piece of coal where my heart should be. Truly, this is a wonderful and enchanting story filled with adventure and awesomeness, but it was wasted on me. Perhaps I just picked up the book at the absolute wrong time, maybe I've been a little too distracted lately (or maybe my inner child has become a surly and snot-nosed brat). Whatever the case, enchanted I was not. Most of the narrative aggravated me and I just could not find the entry point into the story to get truly swept up and carried away. I know, I'm a horrible person.

To make up for my horribleness, I will direct you to Stephen's review here. I think you should trust his opinion on this one rather than mine. I've obviously missed the point entirely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Stephen Sorry you didn't like this one, Trudi. I love the "inner child" bashing though. Too funny.

Trudi Thanks Stephen :D