Kelli 's Reviews > That Hideous Strength

That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

F_50x66
Jul 18, 09

bookshelves: classics

I am about 50 pages in on this book, and I'm not impressed so far. I love CS Lewis, and I loved the first two in the series, but this one has SO much intro. I'm about a 6th of the way through and I still don't know what the story will be about... I don't like books that keep me confused for so long.... I'm sure it will get better, though.

This book made me not like CS Lewis as much, which is sad for me because he was my favorite author... Halfway through the book I still had no idea what the plot was going to be. I didn't have the slightest clue what was going on until about 2/3 of the way through the book. And then the climax was kinda stupid. They spent the whole book preparing for a 'battle' and then had a new character just 'fix' it for them. Killed the whole book. Also, CS Lewis usually talks about god and finding Christ in his books. This one made me feel like he was saying religion was actually a slightly bad thing. Just believe in god and ignore everything else. Then he moved on to talk about sex... Not one I'd recommend, which is really sad because the first two in the trilogy were excellent...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Hideous Strength.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank I don't even remember this title for him. Whta is about? Is that a bear on the cover?

Heidi This is a series? What is the series called? I'm with Frank....never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out from the library! I love him! LOL!

message 3: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank CS Lewis could write some rather strange things when he wanted to. I remember reading an Reader's Digest article one time. The whole article said not to read anyfurther because it was not going to get any better and would not reveal any information. Nor did it. That was the whole point to article, not to make sense. Ever since then I refused to read anything very far that didn't make sense.

message 4: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Can you tell from the dates if this was an earlier book of his. Maybe the first ones you read were written later and he improved???? I agree that he is one who was very positive in his religion in all his books (well almost all his books).

Heber The idea of an additional character resolving everything is frustrating, I agree. While he doesn't make it explicitly clear I think (or at least I understood) a Christian allegory about our victory ultimately not being ours but His. The other preparation which appear to have been irrelevant but needed to be carried out and valued nonetheless remind me of the idea that in the body of Christ all members are equally important and none should feel inferior to any other. It could be argued that the way he presents these ideas creates more confusion about them than clarity and makes them rather unappelling, it could also be argued that I am off base in my interpretation, but that is what I understood.