Anne's Reviews > The Yiddish Policemen's Union

Jul 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery
Read from July 02 to 07, 2011

In an alternate world in which Alaska, rather than Israel, has become the homeland for the Jews following World War II, Detective Meyer Landsman and his half-Tlingit partner Berko investigate the death of a heroin-addicted chess prodigy.

I feel bad not giving this one a glowing review, because I feel like I should have. I should have loved this book, but instead I appreciated it without really enjoying it. The alternate history Chabon creates is amazing, as is his character and setting development. His main character is totally believable and at times sympathetic, while at other times frustrating and immature and selfish. But my problem with this one is that it's dragged down by description, exposition and its interminable length. I found myself wishing it would end and then glad when it was finally over, instead of savoring the author's obvious genius. I'm giving this one a fairly negative review for now, but I would absolutely want to revisit this in a few years and see if I feel any differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yiddish Policemen's Union.