Sarah Yoffa's Reviews > Ender's Shadow

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Jul 02, 2011

bookshelves: sf-milsf-milfic
Read in January, 2005 — I own a copy , read count: 3

Ender's Shadow--and the entire Shadow series, for that matter--is so much better than the original series for 2 solid reasons: (1) OSC acquired 20 or so years worth of experience and expertise, growing in his skills and abilities as a writer and storyteller between writing the first and the 5th (if you count Ender's Shadow as the 5th in the overall series) and (2) Bean is SUCH a more interesting character and protagonist than Ender ever was!! Plus seeing Ender through Bean's eyes gives even Ender some substance OSC just couldn't manage to give him in the original work.

To put this in context, I read the original 4 book series when it came out, loved book 1, hated the rest but I re-read them all when Ender's Shadow came out and the entire Shadow part of the series is just phenomenal, each alone or altogether as a collection or better half of the overall collection.

If you didn't like something, anything about the Enderverse in the original series, I urge you to give it another shot by picking up Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Shadow books (especially Shadow of the Hegemon). You won't be sorry; you'll wonder why OSC didn't write THESE books in the first place!!

I rarely give 5 stars to a book but Bean tipped the scales for me on the Shadow books :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Shadow.