Frank Peters's Reviews > Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity

Turning Points by Mark A. Noll

5719671
Jul 02, 11

Read in January, 2010

I fully expected that Turning points would be one of my favourite books, due to the topic which is a hobby of mine. Everything about the book was done properly in every way, yet for reasons that I do not understand, I found it to be a difficult and awkward read. Noll prefaced the book with an excellent, humble introduction admitting his background (e.g. American Protestant) and inevitable bias. He then proceeded to outline what he believes to be the most significant turning points in the history of Christianity. For each turning point, he highlighted the social, spiritual, political and ecclesiastical background which was incredibly useful and valuable. Noll also went out of his way in trying to cover “turning points” that existed outside of Europe for a more realistic balance. This was really appreciated, as I am most familiar with Christian History in Europe and the Middle East. I especially appreciated the information on the Church in Africa as most of this history was entirely new to me. My only complaint about the contents of the book, was some sections showing what I believe is excessive bias towards certain occurrences in North America. All told the book is excellent in content, yet surprisingly difficult to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning Points.